Submitted: 04-17-2014 by biglenr
Let me start by saying I'm not your typical kayaker... I'm more the size of the typical offensive lineman, about 6'7" and 330 lbs, and very top heavy. I wanted a kayak rated for at LEAST 500 lbs, which really left me with fewer than 10 real choices. Before I purchased this, I test paddled the Wilderness ride 135, OK Stealth 14, and the Diablo Adios.

The Frontier is rated for 650 lbs. 400lbs dry without scupper plugs, so mine are essentially permanently installed. But that's misleading... The seat bases aren't that strong. I had to buy a "rigid" seat base (list price $75 but manufacturer gave discount when I complained) to support my greater weight. Kind of upset me that they didn't mention this fact.
I have a jon boat seat mounted.

Now, obviously... The strength of this is stability. Even with my tonnage, and riding with my butt 10" over the floor, it's not tippy at all. But what is surprising is that it is NOT as slow as you would expect. Granted, it's not going to win any races, but you should be able to keep up with your companions in other fishing kayaks.

Tracking is very good. Storage is very good... It's essentially a big open deck. It has a hatch with a dry bag with a way into the hull, and a "gear track" system that accepts yakattack mounts... I see no reason to ever drill into the hull.

I have a second seat base that I can take a "normal" sized person out with me. I haven't used it yet.

The downside is the weight. That 74 lbs they talk about is with no seat bases... You put a seat base, a rod holder, and a job boat seat on this, and we're pushing 100 lbs. I am strong enough to car top this on a Ford Escape, but I don't think that's something most people would choose to do. You also need a cart to move this. It's just too heavy.

Summary:
A good kayak for king sized paddlers or tandem usage. Tracks well. Very stable. Very friendly for stand up fishing. Not fast (not slow, but definitely not fast). Very heavy.