Submitted: 04-09-2014 by Ryan

My wife and I wanted a tandem kayak and found this one at Costco. The price is pretty hard to beat so we picked one up. After we bought it we heard about the water problems from a friend...

We decided to take it out and see for ourselves before returning. Our kayak has two sets of drain holes - 2 in the front and 2 in the mid section located in front of the rear seat. There are none in the rear section behind the rear seat.

It also comes with 2 sets of drain plugs. Not sure if this is a new addition or not since no one else has mentioned them.

As soon as we put it in the water and paddled out the 2 drain holes in the mid area started taking on a lot of water. Those holes are not in a low spot of the kayak so once the water cames in it cant drain properly.

We turned around drained the kayak and put plugs in the two mid area drain holes. No more water after that! The front drains function normally and dont flood.

The only problem is that by plugging the two holes is the mid section water does accumulate over time from paddling and can't drain. This may or may not be an inconvience as all kayaks I have used get some water in them eventually.

All in all the drain plugs saved us from having to return the kayak. I think this a decent starter kayak and will serve casual use just fine. This is not an ocean kayak and I would not take it out on choppy water given the drain problems. I gave it a 7 only because of the design flaw that requires plugs.