Submitted: 04-08-2014 by imitationcrab
I'm 5'7" tall and weigh about 185. I have owned a number of recreational and touring kayaks. I bought a new Prijon Motion in 2008 without test paddling it first, simply because I've always loved the look of it, and there's no good place to test paddle Prijons around here.

First, the good. It IS a beautiful boat, in my opinion... very attractive lines and deck rigging. Love the deck netting Prijon uses and the easy access deck hatch. Some long kayaks are designed with a small hatch behind the cockpit... like that's easy to access? NOT! So Prijon wisely didn't copy them, and put theirs on the deck right in front of the cockpit, which makes a lot more sense. I also like that it was very stable, comfortable, easy to paddle, and has reasonably good glide.

What I didn't like: I've owned Prijon kayaks before, and it seems to me that the quality of their plastic (in long boats anyway, not sure about ww boats) has declined. Mine seemed very flimsy when strapping it onto my racks. I know there's a lot of hype about how great blow-molding is vs roto-molding, but I imagine even blow molded boats can be done cheaply... anyway I was disappointed with the quality of the plastic of the Motion. I believe Riot has the best quality plastic on the market right now and I'm told Valley is very good also. The plastic in my Necky kayaks has also been better than my Motion. Another complaint is that it weathercocks significantly in even a modest wind, so you really must use the rudder unless you want to do constant corrective strokes.

All in all, not a bad kayak, but I ended up selling it after a couple of years. For the money, you can do better.