Submitted: 03-31-2014 by snowdogs
The O.T.Pack canoe is my first. I bought it because rental companies in the Asheville area didn't permit me to bring along my trusty canine companions for fear of what?..I don't know. Anyway, the BEST investment of my life. I have paddled from Rosman to as far as The Wedge in Asheville...always with my dogs aboard and once with my sister even though they say its a 1 person canoe you can have 2 smaller people plus dogs in it if the 2nd person willing to sit on floor in the front.

Old Town states the canoe can handle up to 550lbs so just don't go over. It's light to portage and get on and off the roof of a sedan with foam blocks at a light weight of about 35lbs. I've encountered a fair amount of fallen trunks and rocks hidden just under the water and the RX materiel seems to bounce right back if you don't mind a few scratches. I've done over 40 day trips in it on rivers and maybe only 3 on lakes and really have to say I've more than got my money's use of it.

I love kayaking and had never really canoed before this boat but the ability to include my big dogs with me was the main reason I went with the canoe. Everything is more fun with them...even when they jump off or tip the canoe to chase cows that are bathing in the River.

Great canoe esp for women as you can portage it on your own and a nice small size of only 12ft. Snap a dry bag to the seat and put your dogs in the middle/front. I use a canoe paddle. Despite what the Old Town and REI sales people say...I bgt & tried a few times to use the canoe with a long kayak paddle..It was awful with the kayak paddle...you're just too high from the waterline to use it comfortably even if you kneeling the boat is too wide. The boat is great with the right paddle a very comfortable ride down a moderate river. It takes on dings from rocks and trees just fine with no need for repairs and the RX material bounces back into shape. Amazing strength and durability for such a light canoe. Whenever I exit the river at a park people come over to check it out & pick it up and after talking to me tell me they are making it their next purchase. Store it inside and you'll have many years of enjoyment.