Submitted: 03-14-2014 by M

I am the third owner of a Greenlander Touring although it is probably only two years old. I can understand that this is not a first boat as it is a specialized boat probably bought as an addition to the fleet for an experienced kayaker as a day fun and rolling boat. It may be just one of the fleet and not always be the preferred one for long paddles.

I have owned a number of kayaks and am very experienced in paddling time although perhaps not as skilled as many with the same hours up.

My impressions of this kayak are:
A very well built kayak that attracts attention for its racy good looks. It is not as racy on the water but is effortless to paddle at its cruising speed. Additional effort is not rewarded by much additional speed. I would not regard it as extra fast except downwind when it will surf well and remain downwind and stable with the skeg down. In cross winds and beam seas it is more comfortable than most with the feel of stability and lack of windcocking because of the very low profile.

The skeg works extra well and controls direction effortlessly in side winds with minimal deployment.
The very low back to the cockpit makes laying back easy but I put a bit of foam behind the backrest for a bit of extra support during longer paddles.
The boat is very low in the water and my fellow paddlers comment on how much of my boat is under water in rougher seas. However it feels very stable and easy to brace probably because it sits so low in the water and has reasonable rocker.

I think this is the best kayak I have owned because of the high quality of construction, the fun element, the ability to roll while still being able to keep up with the larger expedition kayaks, although with a little more effort.

This is a very low volume Greenland style kayak and your legs will be lower and straighter and back support minimal compared to higher volume expedition types. Because I am a large paddler I need to twist my body to wet exit easily from this low volume boat. I have never had to wet exit unless doing so in practice.

If it fits it will be fun. I am 188cm tall, 100kg and well past retirement age. I enjoy this Greenlander T and would recommend it for its quality build, fun factor and amazing looks.