Submitted: 02-14-2014 by jmyers
My experience with folding skin-on-frame kayaks has been limited to a 15 year old K-Light Plus that I owned for less than a year. I liked that boat well enough to order a new Kurrent 2.0.

I was first attracted by the esthetics; it's a good looking little boat and by the large cockpit that allows much easier and quicker entry and exit. Of course, hull and deck materials have improved in the Feathercraft boats over the years and I appreciate the welded decks that are completely waterproof. Another improvement is the cockpit coaming which is now an integral part of the deck which is stiffened by the simple insertion of two curved plastic splines on each side of the cockpit.

The Kurrent's performance is similar to the KL. The upswept bow does provide a drier ride in choppy conditions and I felt that the Kurrent had less tendency to weathercock in a quartering wind. So far as speed is concerned, the Kurrent moves along as well as any well designed 13 foot kayak; it cruises at about 3.5mph with minimal effort. Much more than that requires effort that is out of proportion to the return but then one doesn't buy a short boat for fast paddling. I prefer to say that the Kurrent is a 'quick' boat; though it holds a course very well, it take just a couple of turning strokes to change course 180 degrees. The Kurrent 2.0 is a very maneuverable boat an an all-around good swimmer.

If you're looking for a folding kayak that is light weight, relatively easy to put together, comfortable, seaworthy and a joy to paddle, this could be the boat for you.