Submitted: 02-12-2014 by JIM

I am a new paddler and after a lot of research including this site, purchased a Marlin Prilite. Initially I was very happy and satisfied with the kayak. It looks great, handled well for me, was comfortable. After getting the hang of it, the kayak appeared to be stable. I could lift it onto my SUV by myself.
The day hatch leaks badly even in flat water though.

The problems started after having the kayak for two and a half months. The kayak cracked all the way thru just behind the cockpit. The kayak had been used a maximum of 15 times in flat water and had been looked after. The problem got worse when the Australian distributor told me the kayak would not be replaced and would be repaired, In an email he said:

"You damaged your kayak by sitting on the cockpit rim. The kayak is now repaired and good for use, in fact even if you continue to sit on the cockpit rim (which you really should not) it will now withstand this treatment."
This is an ABS plastic sea kayak we are talking about. I am not sure how self rescues can be conducted without sitting or lying on the cockpit rim. Even the Prijon promotional YouTube clip shows the paddler sitting on the rim.

I was not happy with this decision and emailed the sales manager of Prijon in Germany, he very promptly acknowledge receipt of my email and I have not heard from him since, I sent a reminder and did not hear from him. I fully accept there can be problems with kayaks but do not understand the way I as a customer has been treated. Going thru the Australian forums there are at least four other kayaks with the same problem.

I am sure generally the Prilite is a good craft but if you purchase one make sure you go thru the warranty with the retailer. Good luck to an one purchasing Prijon products.