Submitted: 01-31-2014 by Rikjohnson
I decided to purchase a kayak trailer after someone at the lake smashed my home-made trailer. I chose the Malone Microsport because
a) a fellow paddler had one and i liked the looks
b) it was affordable when compared to what you get: highway tires and bearings. Decent load. Modifiable frame.

I ordered the trailer on Saturday, 11 January and the order was sent to the manufacturer on Monday, 13 January. I had a trip planned for the 24th so was a bit worried. More so when I called Malone and they said it would go out FedEx. The tracking numbers on the FedEx site never changed, always saying "in route, delivered 20 Jan by noon" King Day, a holiday. It actually arrived at 11:53 am on king Day. So I called my daughter and we spent the day putting it together.

PRAISE #1: The instruction book was EXCELLENT!
COMPLAINT #1: the parts were scattered across 5 boxes.

Praise #2: it went together easily!
Complaint #2: for a trailer made in the US, all the nuts-&-bolts were in metric!

Our only problem was when we started to modify it as we assembled. I hate bare wires so we ran an old garden hose and ran the lighting wires through that hose. I wanted a gear box but could not afford the box-kit so made a frame for a box I had. I mounted ammo boxes for my tie-down straps and the zinc-coating dulled a few bits.

I finished the trailer and most of the mods by 4pm Friday. Odile and Maria arrives at 5pm and without even testing the lights, we took off across the desert.

COMPLAINT #3: the load bars are thin aluminum.
Solution: shove a piece of #5 rebar inside for strength.

Eventually I had two saddles on the ends with a J-rack between and a wood deck between the tongue and box. When loading camping gear in my B-2 Bags, i was glad for the added deck.

Ok, here is the good stuff!
It tows like a dream! Yes the tongue is a bit long for a 14' kayak but that can be fixed when I decide how much to cut off. Still, freeway, in town, dirt road, sand, nothing phased that trailer. 4 1/4 hours to Yuma. Another half hour to the lake and back and the trailer still looks and acts wonderful!

For their base-model, the Microsport is so good, why buy a better trailer.