Submitted: 01-20-2014 by David Tagye

Most new kayak models come out and boast "new design" when in fact they're mainly a takeoff of another model or manufacturer. DELTA KAYAKS changed all that. When they first came out I saw a completely radical design, style, and material using the Thermoform technology. The 12.10, 14.5, and 15.5 all have the same hull and deck configuration. I first purchased the 12.10 for ease of transport and storage, but now I've moved up to the 15.5 and have been using it quite frequently for 5 years.

One could say it's the Suburban SUV of kayaks. Very stable, strong, and has incredible storage capacity. I use it mainly for my kayak camping trips, but end up carrying other peoples "stuff" cuz their boats just won't take it all.

As far as speed and agility, it's not a racing kayak. Wasn't designed to be, but what it is, is a great novice boat where one can learn in, but then has enough advanced features, (like super secondary stability), so one can grow into it. I hate putting good money into anything that I end up outgrowing after a few times. If the 15.5 is too big, go for the 14.5. Lots of capacity, same stable design, but I wanted the extra capacity so I got the 15.5.

While the width of the three boats I mentioned are made for midsize to larger paddlers, the way the seat adjusts, (like in a car), and the optional fit kit Delta has, one can customize the cockpit to fit them snugly.

No, I don't work for the company, but I strongly support them. Out of 11 boats, four of them are Deltas. Why? They're awesome. I use the 18.5 for my expedition paddling, the 15.5 for camping, and the Catfish for fishing, and my wife has a Delta 16.

Owners Sandra and Colin are great to talk with and if I had a question or concern, they responded to me immediately and very pleasantly.
I would suggest a Delta for anyone interested in any kind of paddling.