Submitted: 01-02-2014 by CWard

Needed a new PFD, had my eye on the Kokatat Outfit Tour, Astral Sea Wolf with mild consideration for the MsFit Tour (women's version of Outfit Tour). What can I say, I am a big guy at 6'1, 230lbs and the thought of donning a woman's vest was let's say at least not what I was yearning for. Went to the store and tried the mens Outfit Tour and reluctantly the "womens" MsFit Tour. Both fit well, but there was no question the MsFit Tour was just more comfortable. It seems a little shorter in the torso and when worn with a tow belt it is perfect for me.

The biggest struggle I had was getting past the fact that it was a woman's jacket. So I tried the two jackets on and off over and over again. I think this was just to get myself emotionally comfortable that I was going to walk out of that store with a woman's life jacket. In the end the facts won out. This jacket just fit me exceptionally well. I did Look at Astral Sea Wolf but I didn't even put it on because I had a criteria of 2 lash tabs. I carry a strobe on the back shoulder and a knife on the front.

I have used the jacket a number of times and absolutely love it. Plenty of pockets. Lots of small d-rings in the pockets. One of my other criteria was the ability to store my VHF where it was easy to get to. I previously kept it in day hatch but really wanted it on my person. This vest fit the bill. The VHF easily fits in the front pocket and the antenna sticks out through the top. The pocket is stretchy so the it holds the VHF snug and it is not flopping around. I was a little worried about the side pocket placements interfering with my arms while paddling. The Outfit pockets are more to the front than the side. It turned out not to be an issue for me. I bought an XL and with a dry suit on it still has room.

All kidding aside about it being a womans PFD, this thing is fantastic, and I would highly recommend it to any male paddler.