Submitted: 12-10-2013 by Chet Ragsdale

Ok, I admit this is my first kayak, but not my first experience in one, or canoes etc;. I bought two of these for the wife and I. Forget 'entry level', just because they are 'cheaper' doesn't mean it won't do the job. I buy for the job at hand, not for what it might do (which I may never need).

I read another reviewer's comments. He seems to be around my size and height. He didn't like it and I can understand that some might not, and some will. It's all about what each individual wants and needs. This filled all my wants and the needs are simple upgrades. For instance, I want mine to be like the Angler model. So i purchased a couple of flush mount rod holders and the lid for the rear storage compartment. Easy to install and saved money over the angler addition. It does not have the camo color of course, but I have never met a bass or trout that cares what color the boat is. I am in the process of upgrading it more as in depth finder, and an 'exterior' rod holder. Also easy updates.

As far as the seat, I am 250 and 6'3" and have no problem so far. I purchased an inflatable seat cushion as used in camping, it works great. That coupled with the PFD on, makes it fine. The pedals adjust for me ok. One guy mentioned the profile of the yak as he sat in it in the water, high in front. Well I'm thinking for us guys upwards of 250 it might possibly sit a little higher in front, because of the weight closer to the back?

My only cons (and these are minor) is the knee pads on the sides are next to paper thin, I overcame this with some foam shipping padding that they use for auto windshields. Also with the storage lid I put on the rear well, it is a little difficult to open. I attached some paracord and fashioned a handle from some wood dowel from Home Depot, I tied the cord to the bungie on the front and laced it through the seat to me. Now I can pop the lid open by simply pulling the handle and not fumbling with it.

Myself nor my wife are in these for speed and we don't do rapids or the ocean, so these work just fine. They are stable, not too heavy, track good and roomy. Good product

Freedom Hawk Kayaks: