Submitted: 11-27-2013 by Marshall
A little background on my style of paddling; I'm Marshall Seddon, the full time Owner/Instructor of The River Connection, avid kayak racer that does better than OK in the race results, habitual high angle paddler that can also use a Greenland Stick, ACA certified instructor, whitewater, sea kayak and adaptive paddling backgrounds, 6' 190lbs, each of the paddles are 215cm long 2 piece configurations.

Specs:
$450 Straight Shaft 2 Piece Storm Paddle w/std. carbon spigots
24oz. Weight for 215cm Straight Shaft
$510 Modified Crank Shaft 2 Piece Storm Paddle w/std. carbon spigots
24oz. Weight for 215 Modified Crank Shaft
16"x7-9/16" Blade face (measured from tip to shoulder of paddle)
20"x7-9/16" Blade face (measured from tip to end of hozzle)

Mfg. Description:
The STORM is a high performance dihedral foil back paddle designed for every type of paddler; super light (640 grams),controllable in all conditions, predictable through the entire paddle stroke inspiring the paddler in whatever conditions they face.

The design team at Lendal was challenged to design and produce a high performance paddle that would be the perfect paddle for the beginner to the expert. After a year of iterations the STORM is the marriage of the XRANGE foil paddle Kinetik shape as the Kinetik shape has been a favorite for years, with a new dihedral face. It's ease of power delivery and control makes this paddle a 'must have' for anyone serious about performance in all manners of conditions.

Initial Observations:
I've only had the chance to play with the Storm at a trade show but noticed immediately the crispness of the blade's entry/exit to the water rivaled the feel of my Mitchell Black Magic and the weight was extremely close to a Werner Cyprus. The most noticeable difference was the attention to sculpting real meaningful indexing into the paddle shaft. This not only sat absolutely naturally in my hands but for rolling, sculling, prying, etc. the blade orientation was automatic as the direction could be felt in the shaft shape rather than feeling for the blade resistance. I'm looking forward to putting some miles on this paddle!

A Few Miles on Each Paddle:
Coming from having just been paddling with a FG Lendal Cadence my first reaction upon picking up the Lendal Storm Straight Shaft was noticing the lightness of the paddles. I know on paper it is only 2oz. but it is immediately noticeable in the hands.

First couple paddle strokes continued to differentiate the paddle from the Cadence and others. This paddle has BITE! Superior catch for a mid sized high angle paddle blade. Feels like the amount of purchase that you would get with a bigger blade like a Werner Ikelos. Really nice balance which I'll pester the designers for more details as to how they achieved that but I'm going to guess that it's from more of it's drop point sort of profile like a whitewater playboat paddle design.

The feel of the blades moving in and through the water is very, very nice. Quiet, minimal to no entrained air with the blade insertion. Just enough buoyancy to lift the blade on the exit. No blade flutter in low or high position regardless of the amount of power supplies. Super solid when sculling for support or propulsion in abeams, both sculling and prying draw strokes.

The length of 215cm felt spot on which I'll attribute to the fuller design leading to the throat of the blade compared to the Lendal Cadence.

The Straight Shaft has a very solid feel with no discernible flex. The purchase of the blades is a very strong confident feel without so much resistance as to be fatiguing. There are no drip rings on the paddle. I'm right handed so with a 45 degree feather to the blades drippage would land on my foredeck near my feet. While it doesn't phase me typically paddling a P&H Cetus MV with sprayskirt other paddlers that are used to drip rings might want to add a set.

The Lendal Modified Crank Shaft (bent shaft) has the same blades as on the straight shaft. I'm not an overly enthusiastic fan of bent shaft paddles but I'm REALLY liking Lendal's Modified Crank Shaft. My hands seem to fall right in the sweet spot of the grip area. This makes for a similarly solid feel as on the straight shaft but with more of a sense that it just melds to my body's design. Really, really sweet! Hows that for subjective? I found myself paddling the 4 miles back to the Landing with this paddle and not wanting to switch back to the straight shafts.