Submitted: 11-22-2013 by seakayakers2

I have owned my Vital 166 for about three years, and have yet to find anything better out there for smaller paddlers. Seldom will you find a boat this nimble that also tracks well, but this one does. It's pretty fast, but also very stable. It rolls beautifully! Other than a bit of water in the hatches when rolling (quickly repaired by the dealer), I have had no construction problems at all. It is well built.

At 110 lbs. I am at the lower end of the ideal displacement weight for this boat, but I have only found slower kayaks under 16 ft. that have better displacement for my weight. None of those equal the performance of the Vital. The ONLY real problem was the too deep recess under the front edge of the cockpit coaming, that trapped my skirt bungee. I installed a piece of tubing or hose underneath, which cannot be seen, but makes the skirt OK to pull off in a wet exit.

Small women won't find a Perfect 10 kayak, but I'm giving the Vital a 9.