Submitted: 11-22-2013 by Les

I am 87 years young due to about 20 yrs discount courtesy of kayaking off and on a lot since about age 15. At my 87-20 years of age weight of a boat starts to be a concern handling it on dry land, off and on some rack. A boat with the dimensions and weight (Kevlar) of Kestrel 140 is ideal for super senior paddlers who would like to stick with their sport and could afford it even in carbon at 30lbs. I have the Kevlar version satisfying my requirement of less than 40 lbs. I have a 20' long surfski with a beam of 17" so this around two feet beam is super stable for me but the performance cross section minimizing wetted surface could be some concern to a beginner.

It has one shortcoming for me. I use racing strokes with wing paddles and push with the feet on the paddle in the water side by extending that leg to initiate body rotation at you sitting end. Your knees should look as if you were bicycling using your bigger muscles to tire less. The foot brace system I got does not help doing this. I got this boat by some gent buying two, one for the wife one for him. The wife did not like it so it was 1/2 price almost brand new.

I can highly recommend it for general purpose kayaking/touring/surfing with its optimized least effort design cruising at moderate speeds. It is an easy to surf boat even in moderate waves.