Submitted: 11-15-2013 by Kal77

Well I've had the Tarpon for about 6 months now so I think it's time for a review. The majority of my fishing is on Lake Michigan for salmon and the tarpon has performed very well. The slidetrax is by far my favorite part, as it allows flexibility in mounting rod holders, fish finder, and other accessories.

With the Slidetrax be careful not to tighten the bolts to much. I have mine rigged up with four Scotty rod holders (for trolling 3 rods with landing net in the 4th) and use the mortar style holders for getting the other rods out of the way when fighting a fish. A milk crate with a 3 rod PVC holder in the large storage area in the back allows me to keep rods and gear organized. The seat is extremely comfortable, as I have fished for 16 hours straight without issues.

The storage is well thought out and convenient. There is room for a small tackle box or dry box under the seat along with a bungee to secure a medium tackle box in front on the seat. The side pockets are great for keeping pliers, weights or fish grips ready to go.

Overall it tracks well but I find that the front sits a little too low, causing you to go through waves instead of over them. This isn't much of an issue unless if you don't like getting wet. I also suggest scupper plugs in the back, as the water can pool in the far back end of the storage area due to the front scupper hole location. The initial and secondary stability on this kayak are impressive. You can lean almost all of the way to either side without tipping. I have also been out in 4-6 foot white caps without being worried about flipping but you do need to be very careful to stay parallel with the waves. As far as leaks go I have had a small amount of water in the hull after a long day on the water but not much to worry about.

Overall, this has been a great kayak and I highly recommend it whether for recreational paddling or fishing.