Submitted: 11-13-2013 by mayrel
I purchased the Prodigy 13.5 to convert to a sailing kayak. This boat is stable and roomy. The quality of the workmanship is very good, although I had to re-seal the aft storage compartment bulkhead. A simple task with silicone.

The seat is comfortable and adjustable, although the line/cleat locking system takes some getting use to. I purchased a KayakSailor 1.6m sailing rig which is very high quality and very user friendly. I also purchased a Sealect kayak rudder, also high quality. I did have to add a separate gudgeon, modify the location of the control pedals and enlarge the rudder blade to obtain proper control for sailing. Once completed I tested it on a fairly windy day, it sailed fine. I did have to move the sailing rig forward to obtain proper balance, now it's much better. I can now sail or paddle. I find it moves easily paddling and I can achieve a nice speed without working hard. When the wind pipes up, I raise the sail and off we go. The boat handles waves and chop very well, even though the cockpit is large(20X80 inches), I have had no water splash into the boat.

Considering the price I feel this is an excellent kayak. There is enough useable storage space for camping gear with a weight capacity of 450lbs to take an extended trip. If I were going to go in colder weather, I would probably add a spray skirt.

One last comment, Harmony supplies all Perception accessories, and they're not the best quality. The rudder was poorly designed and didn't work correctly. I will say Harmony did refund my purchase price. I also purchased a traveling cover which seems to be decent quality.

Overall I'm quite satisfied with this kayak and would recommend it to anyone. Possibly if you are a more experienced kayaker you might be more interested in a more expensive kayak, but for a novice like myself, it's fine.