Submitted: 11-09-2013 by JeffW

I've had an NC 15 Excursion LT for about 6 months now and am thoroughly satisfied with it. I paddle on Chesapeake Bay and tributary rivers and creeks and have had it out in open water with 15-20 knots of wind. It's easy to paddle and performs well with little weather cocking. I was looking for something in the 15'-16' range that weighed 40 lbs or less and came across this company and boat which seemed to meet my requirements for length, weight and style - and all at a very reasonable price.

I admit to having had reservations about the material (fiberglass) and the shape of the seat. I would urge anyone considering one of the NC line to spend some time on their website with the FAQ's. That handled a number of my concerns but I still had some reservations. So, after several attempts to reach them by e-mail, I ended up spending about an hour on the phone with Doug, who dealt patiently and thoroughly with all of my concerns. In spite of there being absolutely no pressure or sales pitch from Doug, by the time we were finished I felt completely comfortable placing the order. Doug assured me that the seat, which I thought looked hard and uncomfortable, had actually been carefully designed with input from an outside orthopedic professional and was quite comfortable. That turned out to be absolutely correct. I love the contour of it and the low back, which makes entry and exiting much easier than my previous boat. I have a gel pad for the seat but rarely use it on this boat.

I also like the performance flange, which, while a bit unsightly, does all of the things they say it does; plus it serves as a sort of fender to prevent scratches when along side a dock (and you do not want to scratch this boat!). The fit and finish of the boat are excellent, although I could have done with fewer company decals. There are no thigh pads, which I like for edge turns, but that was easily remedied with some foam pads and glue.