Submitted: 10-29-2013 by DAVID B MAUNEY

I built a Chesapeake 17 in 2007 and have paddled it many miles since then. I'm a 210 pounder at 6'2" and own a Dagger Magellan, a composite Necky Looksha 17, a composite P&H Capella 167, and a composite Current Designs Nomad (it's really the older Extreme). I paddle them all according to my whims. My "go to" boat, without a doubt, is the Chesapeake 17. The only boat that can equal the Chesapeake 17 for speed and efficiency is the Nomad, but the Chesapeake 17 is just more comfortable due to room. I usually paddle on open lakes or inland coastal waters and paddle many miles at a session.

The Chesapeake 17 is just an all round more efficient, sea worthy, and comfortable ride. The many comments garnered at the gas pumps don't hurt anything either. The capacity is abundant but not a con in any way,(of course I chose it for my week long Maine island trip). I have never really paddled a comfortable kayak, but with the happy bottom pad and the Thermarest seat and thigh pad, it's as comfortable as any kayak I've ever paddled. I installed the rudder when I built it and would not ever do that again. It's just not needed.

Bottom Line: If I could only have one kayak, It would be the Chesapeake 17. I love it. The other kayaks I own have their pros and cons, but the Chesapeake 17 is my choice, hands down.