Submitted: 10-21-2013 by BTB

I've had an Oru now since mid July, and thankfully, the weather has held up in Oslo this fall so I've had plenty of chances to get it on the water.

Overall, I've absolutely loved it. My wife and I were considering buying traditional rigid kayaks (we are new to kayaking) but when a friend told me about the Oru, I thought it would be a great substitute. For us, the flexibility of being able to throw 2 kayaks in the trunk or take them on the bus at a moments notice is an unbeatable proposition. Oslo is full of new places to head out on the water, and we wouldn't bother if we had to move around two big kayaks. Furthermore, I don't know where we'd store 2 normal kayaks.

Almost as important, the boat feels nice to paddle. It's much stiffer and tougher than you'd expect, it's comfortable to sit in (I'm 6'2", 185 lbs), and it is quite stable (and doesn't leak if you put it together right!). I've mostly paddled on flat water, but also on a couple of rough days in the Oslo fjord. I've also launched in some rocky and steep places and it seems to be holding up outside of cosmetic scratches.

I'd caution folks on a couple things. It's not an iPhone. You need to take some time to get to know how to put it together and take it apart. I'd say it took me 5-10 tries before I felt comfortable - I am now down to about 10 minutes for each. If you rush things before you really know how to do it - which I did of course - you can risk getting a leak. The instructions were very useful to get started and I should have paid more attention to them the first several times I assembled the kayak. Furthermore, I'd also say that you need to be careful if you are more than 6'2". I took a friend out who is 6'4" and he felt it was a little tight.

The best thing about the Oru is it makes you think about kayaking in a whole new way. I go places most kayakers wouldn't consider and I can decide to go last minute if the weather is nice!