Submitted: 12-05-2000 by Ken Moore

I have access to three different brands of Kayaks, plus my own 18' fiberglass fast touring Twogood, and I must say, here in choppy Kaneohe bay, the Scupper Classic is the best fit. Plus points - 1. suprisingly fast for a 14' boat - my 18' Twogood is not much faster unless I really work at it. 2. It's stable. We regularly have a nasty 1 - 2' chop in the bay, and the scupper will work right through it without threating to spill you. 3. It's surfable. The outlying islands in the bay have 2 - 4 foot waves, sometimes breaking, and most of the time, it's surfable. But not much. The long keel and plumb bow and stern make surfing turns difficult - you must be set up properly before you start. 5. It's strong. The darn thing is nearly indestructable. We frequently run scuppers up on rocky beaches, and they simply take what a fiberglass kayak would shatter on. The Minuses? Well, the hatches Do leak. and the poprivets will corrode and break on you, so make sure to replace them with stainless ones.... All in all, a remarkable boat.

Advanced Elements: