Submitted: 10-14-2013 by Kurt

My stomping grounds have been the Magnetewan River in central Ontario. Having a cottage in Dunchurch made it possible to regularly run a fun day stretch of river with class 1, 2, and 3 rapids. For twenty years I've gradually become more confident to navigate this stretch of river in a old smashed-up rotten orange fibreglass cottage canoe. I'm sure there was a time this beast of burden was surely a 75 pound wonderful canoe, but has since gained about 25 pounds, or more, of amateur patchwork. It is important to regularity bail her out on flat stretches of water as it seems to seep in from several different new holes.

So my initial review of the Northwind would be a hands down 10/10. It was dry! Also faster and handled much better then my old flat bottomed no rockered orange canoe. I'm tall and strong and have been solo canoeing my old canoe all my life, so switching to the Northwind was an amazing improvement. It sits on its side so comfortably that it is no longer a circus act, like before. I put a foam pedestal and knee pads in it and tackled the locally famous three snye rapids In low level conditions. And failed miserably... my fault not the canoes! I then took the Northwind down a small local creek during a major flood and came to the obvious conclusion that the Northwind is not in fact a 9 and not a 10.

For a canoe that fits somewhere between a tripping canoe and a river canoe, having the key features of both types, the Northwind is perfect. Definitely worth every penny. Without having tried one, however, I would assume the perfect canoe for me, would have maybe been the 15 foot tandem Yellowstone, outfitted for solo canoeing.