Submitted: 12-02-2000 by Tripp

Follow-up on Pamlico Excel with Rudder-See review 1999. This Kayak has held up very well. I have had it out on numerous day trips in two years of ownership and on a coastal overnight camping trip with my daughter. It handles very well in choppy water, but I swamped it in Bear inlet when I ran aground in surf and flipped it. Even with the rear flotation bag and the tiny foam block in the nose it holds a LOT of water. Had to time my lifting move with an incoming wave to tip it over and dump the water. It has to have a float bag in the nose also before I put it in surf again. It handles well and is extremely stable in the coastal rivers and creeks I use it in 99% of the time. The bottom is fuzzing up here and there from roots I have hit but no leaks. Unless you stand up or ride breaking waves it will not tip over. You can make pretty good speed in it. The spray skirt is not worth much-can't keep it on. I may opt for a "mini-skirt" for it soon. If you want to go kayaking with a kid but know you will be doing a fair amount of soloing and you want a lot of room, if you want durability and don't care so much about maneuverability or beauty, if you want a hand powered pickup truck for the water and you do a lot of flat water, this is your boat.

Paddling.net T-Shirt Sale: