Submitted: 10-02-2013 by rainfoot

I have spent about 100 river days in a Viper 12, mostly C2-C3 with a handful of C4. It was my first whitewater boat. Its rep for being edgy intimidated me at first. And indeed, I have been window-shaded on more than one occasion. But with time in the boat, I learned the proper leans and strokes to minimize the swims.

The Viper 12 attains better than anything else I have tested. It ferries extremely well. It catches eddies one would think are too small, and delivers you into them crisply. It can be driven from the rear without throwing you, but it also responds well to being driven from the front.

The standard Mohawk single-strap outfitting is comfy, and easily adjustable. There is a lot of room for all the stuff your kayaking buddies want you to carry. Its volume allows you to blow through a lot of holes that would stop smaller boats. Although now considered old school, this is a hot boat, and I have enjoyed paddling it.