Submitted: 10-02-2013 by C.M.

This is my first year for serious paddling and after shopping around a bit, I chose the 2013 Wilderness Systems Tsunami 135 as my first boat. Since putting my boat in the water in late April, I have paddled rivers, lakes and some coastal waters.

This boat is awesome. It has given me the feeling of security I needed to really get serious about paddling. We typically paddle for 2-3 hours each time we go out and this boat is very comfortable. It is stable and more than capable of handling anything from flat water to 'active' coastal water! It instinctively cuts through waves and allows the paddler to relax and enjoy the ride. I took a couple lessons early in the season and was taught assisted rescue and self rescue. The hardest part about the lesson was actually getting my boat to flip over! For this boat, that was counter intuitive!

My husband has the WS Tempest 170 and although my boat is not built for the same speed as his is, I don't usually have any trouble keeping up... the Tsunami 135 is a real work horse and will give back whatever you put into it. While this may not be my 'forever' kayak, it certainly was THE kayak to get into the sport with. As I become a more skilled paddler, I may move up to sleeker boat - more of a true 'sea' kayak, but for now, I'm loving every minute I spend in my Tsunami 135.