Submitted: 09-30-2013 by Mary S

I absolutely love my new Jackson Journey 14. I have finally found the perfect kayak!
For me, though, the rudder makes all the difference in the ability to track. This is my 4th kayak and was hoping it was the one that was just right. The day I got the Journey, I had to put it in the water right away and check it out. I had not installed the rudder yet (or even adjusted the pedals). I was so disappointed with the tracking. I am not an expert paddler for sure, but thought I could handle a kayak better than it was performing for me.

BUT, when the rudder was installed and the pedals were adjusted, it was a dream! It was so fast and fun. When I stopped paddling it would glide so straight and smooth. Paddling upwind was super easy, too. A nice surprise also, is that there is room for my miniature schnauzer to ride with me in this fairly small cockpit. I thought I would have to give that up in a touring kayak.

I adore the Jackson Journey 14 and would give this kayak a perfect 10 except for 2 things - the tracking without the rudder and it does not have a paddle holder on the side of the boat. Otherwise it is truly what I had hoped for.