Submitted: 09-27-2013 by Dean

I've only had this kayak out a couple times so I'm going to try and avoid the new boat orgasm. It's an easy floating boat that is very stable and maneuverable. It does not track as straight as a touring or river kayak of course, being only 10" long, but for it's intended patron it's ok. It sits up fairly high in the water which on one hand makes cutting through waves better, but on the other hand restricts paddling a little (as does it's relatively wide width). My first outing was on a cold windy day with 2-3 foot white caps on the lake, but it was just fine...and fun!

The paddle keeper bungee is nice, but I keep bumping it with the paddle. The seat is the reason I bought this boat - for me at least it is very comfortable and adjustable. The foot rests are also quite good and adjustable. I have a spray skirt, which makes the drink holder useless but the seat bottle holder works well. Old Town could have done away with the drink holder and "glove box" section IMO and just opened up the front of the cockpit, which would have made easier access for taller people like me. However, once seated it's not really in the way. I have used the glove box for keys and it does stay dry.

The rear water-tight compartment has a great hatch with click-seal openers that are excellent. No fussing with tie downs...I can get in there easily while in the boat. The deck bungees are strong and usable as are the handles. It's light enough for me to lift onto the roof rack of my Jeep with moderate effort, and it's easy to carry and dump water out of.

Bottom line is if you are looking for an entry-level kayak that is fun to paddle, has some nice features, can be carried easily, and is well constructed then look at this one.

Space Trailers :