Submitted: 09-25-2013 by slowtwitch
Betsie Bay - The best all around boat I paddle. I have a Recluse and I have owned a Valkyrie. I am too big for the Valkyrie. My Outer Island, turns slower, takes a bit more energy to paddle, but is a little more comfortable in rough water. I much prefer both to my Night Heron and Hawk SS.

My BBK was built in 93. I have yet to see a BBK that weighs less than 50 lbs, although my 1993 model is the newest I have seen. While the hull is not as fair as I would like, and I felt it was important to reinforce the back deck and hatch areas with carbon, I have no complaints about the strength of the hull. I understand the coamings are now glass. I found the wood coamings very unfair and replaced them with carbon keyholes. With all these complaints it is still the best dam boat I have ever paddled and would not give my Recluse up for a stack of other boats. Al Anderson has this design nailed.

All boats are a compromise of handling characteristics; the BBK's are as close to an ideal balance as possible. Given that fact, I believe Mr. Anderson has his boats priced fairly. I am so delighted that I was able to find a used BBK.