Submitted: 09-17-2013 by RBC

I have owned a 12' Poke Boat for over 18 years. It has been my sole transportation to an island camp on a large lake. I am 98 lbs, a little light for the boat and have found a water jug in the bow keeps the bow from bouncing. A heavier person may not have any problems in rough weather. I much prefer to have the Poke boat loaded in windy conditions. The weight makes the boat very stable in wind and waves. Have not found a problem with water over the bow or splash. Adding floatation in the stern and wearing a life vest adds to back support.

The boat is a bit wide and deep for someone short, 5'1" but adding a cushion helps. I have had to make some small repairs from cracks where heavy boat fell on it in in a storm. An emergency repair with a little Gorilla glue and tape worked just fine.

The black PBC paddle that came with the boat is perfect for me- very light and balanced. Drilled a hole in the top of each blade so that the paddle can be locked with the boat when I paddle to town. I have paddled my Poke boat fully loaded with groceries, a 20 lb dog, furniture, lumber etc. and have a great deal of respect for its stability and ease to paddle.

Great boat for a camp - mine often is so loaded I have to think outside the boat. I also have shared the boat with another adult - not comfortable but easily done.

Most importantly I use the boat because it is light, not a chore to move or to car top. The only improvements needed would be a less minimal seat and the cost to buy a second one.