Submitted: 09-11-2013 by shortyakker

I am a short (5 feet) woman paddler, and I can barely reach my own kitchen cupboards, so naturally getting a boat on top of my car was a big concern to me. I bought the whole Yakima rack system (round bars and towers) and just a few weeks later added the Yakima BoatLoader. It's great!

I have three kayaks: 1) a rotomolded 15.5 foot Necky (48 pounds), 2) a Wilderness Systems Ultralite 13 footer (38 pounds), and 3) a fiberglass/kevlar Epic V6 (16 feet, 34 pounds). I can use the BoatLoader for any of these kayaks without a problem. Strangely, the heaviest boat seems to be the easiest to load. The composite seems to slip a little, but it may be due to hull shape or the gloss.

I would give this a solid 10 except I, like another reviewer, have a little difficulty with the rubber insert that is supposed to hold the boatloader inside the round rack bar. I have to pull it as far as possible, then push it back in to find a stable point.
This has definitely been worth the investment.