Submitted: 09-11-2013 by L

Bought a used 2010 Aleut on New Years Day 2013. It was love at first paddle for me. Had previously owned & paddled a solo whitewater canoe. Had rented & borrowed a series of plastic, recreational kayaks. People often describe the Aleut as slow. That might be true but I must say that in comparison to those plastic, recreational kayaks my Aleut is faster & easier to handle. In addition it is lighter, quieter, more stable & overall a much more pleasant kayak to paddle.

To date I have used it mostly on flat water in our local lakes. Some of that was open water made choppy by wind & fast moving, boat traffic. My little Aleut handled beautifully in that. It also handles well on the slower moving rivers I've paddled. Have not tried on any fast water.

Mine did come with the old style seat which is basically just a foam pad attached to the floor of the kayak with velcro. The seat back is adjustable via wide, webbing strap. It is comfortable enough & works fine. However, this is a deep kayak & I am a very short person, 4'10". There is another type of seat which Folbot sells as an upgrade, an Airfom, that I think would be more comfortable for someone my size. Think that will be an Xmas gift to myself later this year.

In my rating I took off a point for the lack of foot pegs. That is something I really wish my boat had. If the system allowed 1/2 points I'd have deducted that for the seat. Since Folbot has a fix for that I left my rating at 9. I love everything else about my kayak. Plan to have it for many more years. It seems nearly perfect for my needs.