Submitted: 09-09-2013 by RK

I have been a very active kayaker since 1972 and have owned and paddled many many kayaks. In the past I always bought Old Town kayaks for my recreational kayaking needs. The older Old Town Loon series (10, 11.1 and 12) were excellent paddling kayaks for their size and the three layer polylink 3 construction was just about non destructible. Absolutely excellent quality and design. I recently spent a day with a Dirigo 106. It was, without a doubt, the worst paddling kayak I have ever been in. Tracking was terrible, it paddled like a barge and the construction was an insult to the Old Town reputation of building quality boats. I'm sure the "new" owners, Johnson Outdoors, is making money by substituting sales quantity over boat quality but it is a shame to see the degradation of a brand that earned a great reputation by building quality boats for over 100 years.

Thunder Bay Tourism: