Submitted: 09-07-2013 by thelastkingofcornwal

Firstly, this is the first SOT I've owned, though I have had experience of Ocean Kayak's Malibu 2. I very much like the Triumph. It's got a great lively feel to it - not so much primary stability as the Malibu 2, but with great secondary stability, which means I can edge it. This comes in handy with cross and tail winds and especially surf.

In a headwind, and into surf, I find the boat is great. It really cuts the water. It's got great storage - a really big rear well and impressive storage hold in the front. Bringing it in through surf was at first tricky. As soon as it's hit by a breaker in the surf zone, it will swing, but all it needs is an edge into the face of the wave, and it will slide beautifully up onto the shingle. I find it weathercocks a lot with a following wind, more than the Malibu 2, but not much. Again, edging seems to sort this out.

Child seat - I've had my daughter out with me, and it's kind of useful for that, but it does disturb my paddle stroke somewhat. I find it actually better for her to sit in the rear well. This also seems to solve the weather-cocking problems. The main thing I like though is its manoveurability. I can turn it really quickly, which is very helpful in choppier seas.

All in all for me, a great kayak, though again, I've only got the Malibu 2 to compare it to.