Submitted: 09-07-2013 by Vyrys

I bought the Passage 14 (which is the same virtually as the Adventure) on clearance at Dicks for under 300 with some bargaining. We've taken a few river trips on the Ohio and a couple others.

I like it pretty well, and especially for the price. We've hit some waves that were 1-2 feet head on and never taken on water. From the side, it would take a pretty good wave to get in as well. We usually turn straight into them though to avoid finding out.

Pros:
  • Toughness - this roto molded poly has been beat and banged and slid across concrete a bunch. Even dropped in the garage from a few feet upside down.
    Yeah it has some scars, but nothing that impedes it. Plus it's the same color all the way through so they don't look so bad.
  • Seats - I like that the seats are molded and the backs are nice. Still take a cushion for your butt though. After about 4 hrs it needs it.
  • Tumblehome - I like that it has some to make paddling a little easier. Plus, it fits between the racks on the van.
  • Stability - I think it's stable. We had a kid one time that was jumping around like a freak. Never have tipped it over. I can stand and paddle also. No kidding. As with anything (even your office chair) an unexpected movement will startle you, but I never think we are going to tip over.

Cons:

• Room - it's 14 foot, and with the molded seats and the center seat, it gets limited for bags/gear. However, if you get creative, you can get a lot in there.
    We usually haul around 500-600 lbs of total weight including us. Handles well. We take a tent, sleeping bags, coolers, chairs, and a couple other bags, plus some water jugs...so it's not too bad, but we only pack for a night or two, and only for two people.
  • Heavy - Some might say 75 lbs isn't heavy, but I think it is. I can handle it but it's never a breeze. This is the single biggest con to me. Still, two people can handle it well enough.
  • Speed - Although it's not slow it's really not that fast. But it's a recreation canoe, so it's not supposed to be super fast.
All in all I love it. Great fun and good exercise.