Submitted: 08-30-2013 by B E

I bought a Delta 15s after trying it out at a demo. I felt it was a stable boat and I liked the gas pedal style of the rudder pedals. I am a female 5'3" with a weight of 109 lbs. so the cockpit also was a good fit. This is my second kayak but my first with a rudder.

I have to say that I want to love this kayak but I just don't. I have gone on at least 5 or 6 paddles with local kayak clubs in the Seattle area lasting anywhere from 1 to 4 hours and I end up always trailing behind everyone. I use a Werner Camano paddle. I have tried adjusting my paddling techniques, have had a private lesson and have had other people watch my paddling and I just don't seem to have the 'speed' I need to comfortably keep up with others. I am able to paddle at a relaxed speed but really struggle to keep up with others as soon as the water gets any chop to it.

On the good side, the storage capabilities on this kayak are HUGE. It is very lightweight and I can lift and carry it alone quite easily. It is easy to retract and deploy the rudder and to use the rudders and they work very well. This kayak turns easily. I feel very safe in it.

On the down side, I don't think it is the speediest thing out there and I am not sure yet whether I will keep it. I am going to try out a few of my friends' kayaks and see if it is just my paddling techniques or if it is, indeed, the kayak. I truly want to love this kayak but the verdict is still out... I have more need for speed.
Initial rating: 7

ADDENDUM:
I would like to say that after adjusting my paddling stroke and moving up the seat to form a tighter fit in the cockpit, I seem to be able to add some speed. I am feeling like I may be able to love this boat after all!
Final rating: 8