Submitted: 11-26-2000 by Joseph

I have a 13 year old polyethylene Sea Lion. I have toured it on the Potomac River, the Chesapeake Bay, the Atlantic Ocean (Virginia, Maryland, and North Carolina), and countless others in the area. I have experienced 50 mph. winds, six foot waves, and current speeds of 5 mph. I've never capsized, and I've never had to brace. The kayak is 13 yrs. old and never needed repair. I've been in four other highly regarded sea kayaks before, and the Sea Lion outtracks, outruns, is more stable, and more comfortable than the others. The reason why I'm giving it an eight is because I feel it could be made to track even better without sacrificing speed. I also feel that 1.5 inches should be added to the foot area height in the deck at the forward most foot setting. This would better accommodate people like my brother who shouldn't be punished because they have size 12 or above feet and are 6'5". I am 6'1", 162lbs., 11"shoes, and long legged. I fit fine. What I have been through in this kayak speaks for itself. I've been in the new Sea Lion Eclipse and find that they are very similar. It would be my quess that the Eclipse would fair as well in the situations I've been in.

Backwater Paddle Company: