Submitted: 08-23-2013 by Spartiate

While I understood that this boat is designed for women and smaller paddlers, I (5'10"/210 man) bought it because I like light, low-volume boats, and it costs a half or a third of long boats meeting that description. Though ~50% larger than the target demographic, I nevertheless find it roomy, and the freeboard more than ample. I have at least three more inches of adjustment margin on the foot rests, and it is the only kayak I've ever paddled where my legs don't "fall asleep".

It doesn't track like a 16 footer, of course, and it's hull-speed limited (take a few quick power strokes and you'll start climbing the bow wave), but that's just physics. I agree with those who'd prefer a bow bulkhead to minimize swamping; on the plus side, the stern bulkhead and hatch, punching through surf that broke over my head (and capsized me several times) never leaked a drop.

The biggest drawback for me is the big plastic seatback that prevents proper use of a skirt (the front seals well and keeps waves out of my lap, but anything from the beam or stern pours right in).

NOCQUA Adventure Gear: