Submitted: 08-19-2013 by Astrelfrog
The 'usual boat' for my husband and I is a 20-year-old Old Town Discovery 158. We've been taking it to the chert-bottomed Ozark streams since we got married...usually tied on the roof rack of a 1997 Escort wagon. Despite the length of service, this plastic, keel-less 15'8" tandem has served admirably in every season except winter. For two years, it was our transport of choice to a remote creek off the Current River where I did my undergraduate geology thesis by paddling a half-mile from the put in just north of the confluence with Jack's Fork River.

The Discovery 158 may be a little old in design, and a touch heavy for one middle-aged person to line up on a compact car (it can be done, with a little knowledge of leverage) but this boat is very maneuverable for a tandem. We've only dumped it once...when it got hung up mid-boat under a camping load on an invisible submerged rock. We've put hundreds of miles on this canoe, and it's still got hundreds of good miles in it. Recommended for a tandem paddling couple who does overnight gravelbar camping.