Submitted: 08-12-2013 by mehun

Love it! I normally use a canoe but bought the Patriot and it tracks great, is a perfect balance between speed, stability and manueverability. Yes smaller kayaks are lighter and more manueverable and longer touring kayaks are faster but the Patriot is good at most things.

I'm 6'1 about 220lbs and the cockpit is large and fairly comfortable. I used it on a trip in lake superior with 6 days of food, camping gear, tent, etc. This added almost 50lbs of weight and it still performed remarkably. As a side-note: webbing is minimal and seat does not rate a 10. I added webbing, a gel seat cover and afold down rudder made of 1/2" pvc. 2 layers of pvc for the rudder and then spent time on the belt sander to shape and profile it. Less than $20 in hardware and it works great.

In my opinion the Patriot is a super versatile, great balance of stability, tracking, manueverability and speed with excellent weight capacity and a large rear hatch storage area. Add webbing, gel seat pads and a rudder and there isn't anything that can compare without paying $300-$500 more