Submitted: 08-10-2013 by nojoe
I purchased an NC Quest about seven years ago and have no regrets! I got the light layup option and definitely feel that it was a good investment. NC recommends the light layup because it is actually a stronger layup than the standard one. The design is quite clever, eliminating the need for a skeg or rudder in nearly all conditions. Tracks like a dream, turns like a nightmare (when in motion). When steering, you won’t notice anything different about this design. However, when you need turn the kayak completely around in the opposite direction, I've found it much easier just to stop the kayak and then turn. When she is moving, she wants to hold her course!

I am 5'10, about 155 pounds and I love the fit of this kayak. I have a small fleet of kayaks and this one is my favorites for long term comfort. It has become my primary boat. The flange has a secondary benefit of protecting the boat finish both on and off the water. Like a protective bumper extending a half inch (all the way around the boat), it has saved the gel coat from getting scratched on many, many occasions.

I love the back hatch, but the front hatch is a screw on type that gets stuck on a hot summer day. I combat this by loosening the hatch a bit before taking it outside in the sun. If it still gets stuck anyway, I splash water on it to cool it a bit and cover it with something for a minute or so. I understand NC has switched suppliers now, so that may no longer be an issue.

The people at NC were great, and the build and delivery estimate was right on the mark. I had some trepidations about purchasing a boat sight unseen, but It was a good buying experience. The boat was packaged well and was quite a beauty when delivered brand new! She has some fading now and scratches from heavy use, but she still looks great on the water.