Submitted: 08-10-2013 by hsturgis
I'm a beginning paddler with two seasons under my belt, and the Edge 13 was my first boat. I've had it on the water (Colorado lakes & reservoirs) a few dozen times, and even though I have another boat now, I still really enjoy paddling the Edge. It tracks nicely and responds well to sweep strokes and edging (and skeg-down, it is straight as an arrow even in the strong afternoon winds of Colorado). It handles moderate wind chop and boat wakes quite well, although I've speared a couple of two footers with the low profile bow and had the water roll right down the deck and into the open cockpit...I got a spray skirt and have had no issues since.

The 24" beam and relatively large cockpit makes it roomy and stable, and I imagine it would work well for fishing, although I've never done that. However, anyone much bigger than me (6'1" 240lbs long legs big feet) would find a tight fit. On the other hand, my 6 year old wisp of a granddaughter can paddle it just fine, so I think it's a good boat for a broad range of recreational or beginning paddlers.

I call it my "rec boat with bulkheads"...the fore and aft watertight hatches are a nice safety feature, and make it possible to do longer day trips (and possibly overnight, if you pack like an ultra-light backpacker). The purpose-built paddle straps on the rear deck, and the low profile, make a paddle float re-entry a breeze.

The boat has a number of nice touches, like an under-deck gear net, and bungees underdeck that allow me to store my pump inside the cockpit right above my knees. The only thing I don't like is that the foredeck plastic seems a little soft. This is not a problem elsewhere on the boat, but the deck right in front of the cockpit is a little too flexible...I haven't actually done it, but I suspect one could collapse that section of the deck quite easily with a substantial weight (such as my own). Other than that the quality generally seems good, especially considering the low price.

Overall, I'd say this is a superior boat for it's class...a solid rec boat with a few nice features and extras. In that context, I give it a "8". Glad I bought it, and I (and family & friends) will probably use it for years to come.