Submitted: 08-08-2013 by WaterBird

The Delta 12.10 stands out against other kayaks of this length in every way. It's an amazing little craft that can do big things!

First, the stability is very impressive. It takes almost no skill to keep the Delta 12.10 upright in waves. The flared bow rides right up over waves easily. I barely even have to be attentive to waves coming from the side. I've had no problems at all with tracking. The speed is much better than you would expect for such a short kayak. The performance is on par with most 14 footers.

The 12.10 is a great choice for winding rivers and marshes as it turns very easily. But it's also very comfortable on large lakes in rough conditions, and I wouldn't hesitate to take it on the ocean due to its stability and safety features (perimeter lines and unique paddle straps that hold the paddle more securely than bungees).

I love this kayak for camping. The volume in the hatches is huge---about 30% larger than my 15.5' sea kayak. I can easily pack for a 5-day trip with the Delta 12.10. The hatches on mine are 100% watertight. I don't even pack things in dry bags; I just drop them in the hatches.

The seat is very simple in design, and yet one of the most comfortable I've owned, suitable for all-day trips. The cockpit opening is large enough for a fairly large person, and yet small enough to be in the sea kayaking rather than recreational class, meaning it doesn't admit tons of water. I'm 5'5" and the foot pedals can be moved down another 9" from where I have them set.

I can't say enough good things about the Delta 12.10. It's unique in its length class among thermoformed kayaks. Eddyline, Swift, and Hurricane don't have an equivalent to the Delta 12.10 in their line up, a short kayak that is seaworthy, stable, reasonably fast, and has enough volume for camping.