Submitted: 11-16-2000 by kayakdiver

What's NOT to like about the Scrambler XT? Every kayak design compromises on some performance factors in favor of others. For instance, maneuverability for tracking, or stability for speed. I think the XT has averaged out ALL the performance factors to the best possible advantage for the paddler, fisherman, and diver in the 160 to 210 pound range (and much more without dive gear). For price and performance, the XT is simply one of the best choices out there!

From what I've seen, the Scrambler XT is possibly the most popular dive kayak in the world for divers in the weight range I mentioned above. Ample storage, very stable with lots of room in the cockpit, a good medium distance paddler, extremely durable, and a lot of fun in the surf once you master the brace and steering, are just some of the reasons why we love our XTs for diving.

We almost always take two tanks out on our XTs. Most of us stack both tanks in the tank well but one of the gang still prefers to secure his second tank up on the foredeck or between his knees. As with the regular Scrambler, start with the front hatch only, it's all you'll need anyway on the XT!

If you are scubadiving from it and making surf entries and exits, don't forget to add a few more sets of eyelets around the tank well to further secure your expensive gear with bungee cords. This goes for ALL kayaks with a tank well! I also recommend a bungee or two across the front oval hatch to keep your weightbelt from knocking the cover off if you happen to roll in the surf.

When you are done diving, offload your dive gear and take the XT back out to play in the surf. It's great!