Submitted: 08-04-2013 by Brendan

Bought this boat on sale last year for CAD 900 as my first kayak after demoing about 5 or 6 boats. Have really enjoyed it so far. I live in the Canadian Rockies so wanted something that could do rivers, lakes and potentially something on the coast. The Manitou seemed the best able to handle all of these out of the boats I tested. It is much, much faster on flat water than your standard 10 foot rec kayak but if also very stable. I've also taken it down class 2+ white water without issue. Will be trying class 3 soon I hope.

Before buying it I noted someone complained that getting back into the kayak after it flipped is hard because of the seat back being too high. I recently practiced this and after admittedly failing on the first 4 attempts I was able to comfortably get back in the kayak despite the seat on the 5th and all subsequent tries without using a paddle float. So the seat is not a safety issue and it is amazingly comfortable. To be honest, the main reason I bought this kayak is because it is SO comfortable.

The only negatives about the kayak are that the hatches are not water tight if you roll the kayak. A roll will likely result in a significant amount of water in the hatch. Also, the skeg box and cable in the rear hatch take up a lot of room which can be irritating it you need to pack gear for a multi day trip. I much prefer the skeg to a rudder though but I feel like it could have been designed to use less space in the hatch.