Submitted: 08-03-2013 by babaloo
Me: Male, now 60, ~200 lbs., 5'11", exercise regularly, walk ~30 mi/week, started kayaking 2006 w/ inflatables, purchased Vision 140 as a transitional kayak for a 3 wk trip to Vancouver Island in 2010. It is close to a "real" sea kayak.

I would not buy this boat if my goal was heavy-duty sea kayaking (i.e. beyond 3 -4 swells probably should consider a bigger boat). However, for light or sheltered coastal touring, or flat-water paddling this is the bomb.

I have used it quite successfully in class I-II river rapids (i.e. San Juan rapids on lower American at 4000 cfs). Handled great. This boat is excellent for a flat water kayak (bays, mild-to-moderate sheltered ocean, lakes, moderate rivers). Great cockpit size (!!!), stability (!!), tracking, overall good construction (well-sealed non-leaking hatches, rudder, !very! comfortable seat, good deck lines and hardware). Light yet strong construction.

I love this boat. Nice deck design, edges well w/ very good primary stability. I have no trouble keeping up with 17-18 foot boats during day paddles. A good cruiser. The weight and strength of construction is a positive selling point. Nicely appointed and strong deck cleats, deck lines, and finished design.

Downsides: Even though construction is excellent quality, it is made in China a well-made light generic Kevlar/fiberglass blend but may not please those with certain political views. Yet, overall sturdy and well-built. Light weight (43 lbs, + a couple more lbs w/ rudder) is one reason I purchased. I will say I have had it in open water in Heriot Bay, Quadra Island, ~ 2 miles from shore and was quite comfortable. Low back deck makes self-rescue relatively easy.

An excellent boat unless you want serious sea kayak play.

Botetourt County Tourism: