Submitted: 08-03-2013 by jhboyd2
Last summer I added an Emotion Edge to my small fleet. My other rec kayak is a Blast. I will compare them in this review, but the emphasis will be on the Edge. I will also review the Blast in the Perception Sport section, as they are selling them now.

The Edge has a shallow V bottom and hard chines. This makes it track well while paddling. As soon as you stop, it wanders off, but I suppose that is do to its under 10' length. The flat bottom and rounded chines on the Blast make it feel more stable. For a rec kayak, the Edge feels less stable, especially when going very slow or dead in the water. It would be disconcerting to a beginner. The Blast keeps its direction better when you stop paddling.

The Edge bow splits waves better than the Blast. When the waves get over 12", the Blast ride gets wet, unless you slow down. The Edge can keep up its speed better without taking on water. It seems like a very miniature sea kayak. One reason I purchased it was a p-net review by someone who uses his in San Francisco bay.

I took the Edge in only one river, and the V bottom hit bottom a few times. It needs more water than the Blast to make rivers work. The Blast is rated up to class II, and I concur with that. Any water that required quick adjustments would be more fun in the Blast.

A small person could have trouble with the Edge. It is a big kayak for a big person.

The seat is the reason for the 9. It is only comfortable for a couple of hours. I do like the mesh water bottle holders. For flat water and black water, I prefer the Edge. It is faster. The more shallow a stream and the closer it comes to class II, the more the Blast comes into its own. It is also a better newbie boat. If you want a kayak or two for friends with little experience, I would highly recommend the Blast.

I will keep both my kayaks, even though I plan to purchase a couple of 13' kayaks. If there is such a thing as an advanced rec kayak, the Edge is it, and when taking my friends out, they will get the 13 footers or the Blast, and I will use the Edge.