Submitted: 08-02-2013 by barrickj
I am new to the kayak world, but have been camping/hiking for many years. My favorite water filter of several tried has been the Platypus gravity works. I initially thought this system would be bulky and time-consuming, but that was far from the truth.

This is the fastest system for filtering water, particularly large quantities, is one of the lightest filter systems, and requires little to no maintenance. I probably got about 1500 liters out of a single filter. It is an extremely versatile system since you can filter a small amount or a large amount of water at a time which works well for a camp of multiple people, or for a line kayaker.

The primary drawback to this system is that is more expensive than the average pump filters, but its ease of use make it worth it for me.

Pros: it's fast, easy to use and easy to maintain.
Cons: It's expensive and difficult to use with small, non-flowing water sources (which shouldn't be problem for kayakers). The Platypus waterworks runs about $120 and a replacement filter is about $40.
The cost is the only reason I gave it a 9 instead of a 10.