Submitted: 08-01-2013 by stillgoin

This is my third summer with my Nessmuk, and I couldn't be more pleased with the way the boat handles. It had its toughest test to date when I paddled on the Niagara River on 7/28/2013 from Lewiston to Youngstown (about two hours). Winds were about 14 mph and the chop was about two feet--occasionally more, by my best estimate--with a few little whitecaps. The boat felt stable the whole time; I've learned to trust it and was tickled *bright* pink when it proved trustworthy last Sunday.

I'll add that, the first summer I had it and took it to the Adirondacks, I didn't have footrests in it; Dave Curtiss asked me to try it without it. I did; I asked him to put footrests in for the next year. That's given me a lot more power (I'm 5'3", 61, F, 138 lbs) and I was glad for every bit of power when we went out into Lake Ontario and then had to paddle upstream against the current at the mouth of the river to the launch in Youngstown. (We wanted to see the old fort built by the French in the 1600s from the lake.)

I don't like the seat. Even with a folding canvas canoe seat (sorry, don't remember manufacturer), my tush gets much wetter than those of people paddling Hornbecks. And, yes, the scratches show on the Nessmuk, which doesn't bother me, but if that bothers you,consider getting a white one (mine is dark green).
Love this boat!