Submitted: 07-31-2013 by jeplow
I've had this boat for about a year now, so I thought I'd go ahead and give my impressions.
I bought this boat from REI looking for an all around 'yak. The price was right at about $560.00 so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

This boat is heavy - at about 62 pounds, which makes it a pain getting on top of my Jeep into the J-style carrier. That being said, it is rotomolded, so it should be near indestructible.

I wanted was fishing platform, but this is really not well suited for that as other boats are, it is a light tourer with a flush mount rod holder to the right rear of the cockpit. I paddle a lot of rivers with low handing branches and if your rod is in the holder you could easily snap it off.

But as a light tourer, I think this boat really excels. The bow and stern hatches are not totally waterproof, so you'll want to use dry bags. There is ample room for a weekend camping trip in the hatches, plus bungees for on deck storage as well. The retractable skeg is a wonderful feature, making this boat track like it is on rails.

I did have a warranty issue, which took some time to resolve. The pad for the seat back ripped after two outings, it took some time but Riot did come through with a replacement part. I think that it took so long because Riot is based in Canada and the Kayak & parts are made in China.

Overall, a good beginner to intermediate boat for the money. I thoroughly enjoy my time in the Edge. It's been a great first kayak.