Submitted: 07-31-2013 by falconsusi
WindPaddle Scout owner here.
What fun. I have two of these sails. One red and one yellow. That way friends can try them out, too. I have used the Scout on all of my 4 touring/recreational kayaks. The Scout is a dream on the 13ft touring kayak and on the 12ft recreational kayak. I have recently used it on my 10ft sit-on-top with fun success. And lastly, it is silly to see it on my 8ft recreational kayak.

On the longer boats the sail is easy to deploy and easy to control as the boats go straight easily.
On the sit-on-top Coupe the sail is fun. But the only negative on this boat with the sail is that when you put the sail away there is no deck rigging to put the sail under. You need to use the cord that goes around the folded sail to hold it together. This is awkward as the cord is in a strange spot with the kayak attachment points. The sail sometimes comes loose because I can't get the cord centered on the folded sail as one of the attachments is in the way.
And on the 8ft boat. It is very funny to try to control the boat and the sail as with the short boat the bow won't stay straight.

I have a carabineer I attach the sail to my PFD when I need to use my paddles. I could just hold the rope in my mouth, but I know how many lakes that rope has been in. Maybe this isn't the right way, but it works wonders.

I love the sail. And I love skimming across the water when the wind is at my back. If only it would work to go upwind...