Submitted: 07-30-2013 by sbarbian

I used the Yakima Bowdowns for carrying my Hobie Pursuit on my 4 door sedan. While I experienced many of the complaints that others mentioned in the review, the rack was still satisfactory to my needs. The bowdowns allowed me to fit two kayaks on the roof of my small sedan. My sit-in kayak was flat on Mako Aero saddles (highly recommended) and then my sit-on-top was on its side using the bowdowns.

First, I'll address the road noise. These racks will whistle at speeds of 40mph or higher. I just turned on the radio and didn't really worry about it much. But then I also sold the car and bought a truck... so I guess I didn't deal with the whistling for long.

Second is the spinning. The racks are easy enough to install, and even get tight. The issue I noticed is that the weight of the rack with a little push of sliding the kayak would actually spin the round crossbars. However, the loaded kayak acts as a brace between the two and prevents them from rolling when in route. So really as long as you strap the kayak securely to both bowdowns, you shouldn't have an issue.

I felt comfortable driving with this rack at highway speeds without using the bow or stern straps. I recommend this rack with the exception of the road noise.